Every flame begins with a spark.
Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm. ~ Goodreads
- The Pacing: I enjoyed how it didn’t take forever and a day for things to happen, from the first chapter things started with a bang capturing my attention.
- The Mystery: There were many interesting questions raised within the story raging from who Ashline and friends really were? What is their true purpose? Why? And many more. I liked how some were answered keeping me somewhat satisfied yet wanting more.
- The Action: Like the pacing it was instant, grabbing a hold and not letting go. I enjoyed how there was action from beginning and throughout the story.
- The Developing Romance: Ashline and Colt’s growing romance was just that, growing. No instant love here, instant attraction yes. Totally refreshing.
- The Lore: Love, loved, loved how the different mythologies were showcased and how they interconnected making things way more interesting.
While the writing style was clear and understandable I only had one gripe and that was the transition between one scene to the next. It left me a bit confused for a minute and had me backtracking to understand that it was a scene change. A clearer indication would have made it smoother for me.
Ashline: Relatable, Interesting, Secure. Ashline had a strong secure voice and I enjoyed reading her story through her eyes. There were questions raised and she wasn’t afraid to find answers.
Eve: Crazy, Psychotic Sister: Really enjoyed her crazy psychotic ways. Nobody was safe.
Colt: Sexy, Mysterious Romantic Wilderness Guy. He kept Ashline on her toes with his involvement.
Jackie: The lovable, reliable best friend. Everyone needs a best friend like her, seriously.
Rolfe: Humorous Surfer Dude: He made me laugh with basically everything that came out his mouth
Raja: The Standoffish Beauty Queen. Even though she was a bit standoffish in the beginning I warmed up to her in the end.
Ade: The Silent Reliable One: He’s the person you want on your side in practically any situation.
Lily: The Quite One. Not much to say about her since she was quite. But you know what they say about the quite ones.
Serena: The Knowing One. She was the girl with the answers, answers that lead to more questions.